Cleaning Microfiber Upholstery
Effective Advice for Cleaning Microfiber Upholstery
Many household furnishings are made from the popular material, Microfiber. This synthetic fiber offers advantages and is a popular choice for covering furniture, especially in homes with kids and pets.
Stain Resistant and Durable
Choosing microfiber has many benefits, it is durable, stain resistant and cost effective. Whether is it microfiber or leather, all couches get occasionally stained and dirty from normal use.
You can keep your upholstery looking new for years by knowing how to keep a microfiber couch and other pieces of furniture cleaned. Cleaning microfiber the wrong way can create an unwanted outcome. Here are some tips to help you keep your upholstery clean.
Clean Microfiber and Save Money
Some stains happen slowly over time from every day use, and some stains happen in the blink of an eye. Invisible dirt and debris come from our clothes, bodies and pets can sink deep into the fabric if it is not cleaned often enough.
Microfiber usually cleans up very well, especially with professional upholstery cleaning.
Using a vacuum cleaner is a great starting point, you don’t need expensive microfiber cleaners.
Vacuuming a Microfiber Couch
To remove allergens and pet hair, use your vacuum cleaner’s upholstery attachment. To save you from needing more frequent professional cleaning, vacuum your couch weekly. You can fluff up the upholstery with a sponge’s rough side after vacuuming.
Weekly vacuuming is important and is quite effective when coupled with deep cleanings. The question is how often should this be done? This depends on how much you use your sofa, the presence of pets and kids, and your sensitivity to allergens.
Codes to Cleaning a Microfiber Couch
Do not go out and buy an expensive, or even bargain priced microfiber cleaner and start cleaning your couch. Start by reading the manufacture’s fiber care tag. You can learn how to clean microfiber furniture safely. Read the tag!
Upholstery Cleaning Codes
The tag on your upholstery has a code system, that needs to be carefully followed. The codes are W, S, S-W, and X. Here is what they mean:
- W = Water-based cleaning solutions. To prevent damage from minerals found in tap water, use distilled water.
- S = Solvents containing no water. Use a mild, water free, dry cleaning solvent. Be careful using these products and make sure the area is well ventilated.
- S-W = Solvents without water or water-based solutions. Both options can be used, do not use tap water.
- X = No cleaning agents. Only vacuum.
Cleaning Microfiber Stains
The big day is here! You’re ready to clean your microfiber couch. Maybe is it just a spill, or you haven’t vacuumed your couch weekly or deep clean seasonally.
Couch maintenance is easy to neglect, whether you are distracted by kids, your car or even an update on your iPhone. You can rescue your microfiber couch faster than you can update your phone. Here are the steps:
- STEP 1. Vacuum your couch
- STEP 2. Read the manufacture’s tag. DO THIS FIRST. DO NOT SKIP THIS
- STEP 3. Based on the tag, gather your supplies. This could include sponges, light colored clothes, brushes, spray bottle, distilled water, mild dish-washing liquid (clear), a bucket or bowl, solvent based dry cleaning solution and rubbing alcohol.
- STEP 4. Test the cleaning solution. Spray a small amount in an inconspicuous area to make sure you have the correct cleaning product.
- STEP 5. For W or S-W tags: Mix the detergent and distilled water into a bowl or bucket to create soap suds. Apply the soap suds with a brush to the area you are cleaning and scrub. Rinse and dry the brush often. Clean the area with a damp white microfiber cloth. After air drying, fluff the clean area with a brush or the rough side of a sponge. For S tags: Put a solvent, such as rubbing alcohol, in a spray bottle. Spray and clean with a soft-bristled brush or a sponge. After the upholstery has dried, fluff the fibers with a brush or vacuum.
When Cleaning a Microfiber Couch Fails
If you are nervous to clean the couch on your own or you have attempted to clean it and it doesn’t come out well, don’t worry. Professional upholstery cleaning has saved many couches. If you are struggling to get the results you want, we would be happy to help.
Give us a call today 407-947-6724